Wednesday, July 16, 2008

old news....

A year ago, on July 11, 2007 we published the following article on the new pest in Cuba, the "Pez Diablo".
On January 19, 2008 el Nuevo Herald talked about it.... Let's bring back the old article as a homage to our never forgotten friend, Tocororo.

The new pest: El Pez Diablo.

Tocororo was an avid fisherman and a dedicated environmentalist, not the kind who blindly followed Al Gore, instead he was like one of those born naturalists of yesteryear, he studied ecosystems on his own, and he put together live models of coral reefs at home, based on his photographs taken in situ, to admire those works of nature.

I promised to him in my last night prayer for his soul that I will devote a series of semi-humorous posts (depending on how much humour I can drum up while coping with his loss) on the disastrous reality of the environment in Cuba. For that, I have recurred to old posts, old e-mails, and to conversations with a cousin of mine which also would love to restore the natural environment of Cuba into its pristine condition of yesteryear.

This could have been an awful long post if I didn't use the help of links, but I know that y'all will be ready to forgive me.... post.

Do you know what a frankenfish is? It's that fish that was introduced from Asia into the USA and which now is a growing menace for the native species..... It's actually called "snakehead fish" or "snake fish". It's eerily similar to the river claria fish introduced in Cuba courtesy of Mr. Kasstro. Both descriptions of the claria are in Spanish but I promise to try to find some information in English to abund on this subject. Unfortunately my search in English has only results about another predator, the Claria spyware, which is equally voracious: it destroys computers and turn them into spybots.

This other article with a slight mention of the claria tells you more about the eco-alimentarian tragedy of the Cuban people.

Another day we will talk about the migrating crabs of Cuba -I discussed the subject at length with Tocororo, which was a native of Las Villas, and he gave me a lot of information about them. Then I turned to my cousin, who used to live very close to the Cienaga de Zapata in the fifties and early sixties, and he gave me even more first hand information on those land crabs, but that will be the subject of another post.
UPDATE on the "Clarias Batrachus" (in English)