Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wild Horses

In a symptomatic portrait of how things are becoming in the land, now the federal government -why would I like to capitalize this phrase anymore?- has said that it will resort to euthanasia to deal with what once was a symbol of the American freedom, the West, and muscle cars: the Mustang.

The government has been rounding them in never heard before numbers, and at the same time it prevents people from just go and get themselves a horse from the wild. No, it all has to be done through bureaucratic agencies that do not allow for you to go and pick your fave ride and tame it yourself, like in the good ole days. The feds have set up a "system" in which they capture the horses and they release them to "suitable" people for "adoption". The cost and burden of capturing, taming, and keeping horses was therefore transferred to the public at large, even to those citizens who do not own horses and are not interested in them. Worse, some of these Mustangs are killed rather cruelly for their meat.

Very un-American, I would say .
Very controlling. They need to know who you are before they release a horse to you.
One can't go and do the job oneself.

And like with all things dealing with Government interference in citizens' lives, it reminds me of the horses of Cayo Romano, at the northern shore of Camagüey. A chap called fidel castro, the most famous son of a cattle robber, suddenly declared all Cuban Mustangs to be property of the "revolution". Even the horses in Cuba have lost their God given wild status, but that would throw us in that direction that we are so famous for taking at the most minimal chance.

Let's go rock and roll on this:


Childhood living is easy to do
The things you wanted I bought them for you
Graceless lady you know who I am
You know I cant let you slide through my hands

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, couldn't drag me away

I watched you suffer a dull aching pain
Now you decided to show me the same
No sweeping exits or offstage lines
Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, couldn't drag me away

I know I dreamed you a sin and a lie
I have my freedom but I dont have much time
Faith has been broken, tears must be cried
Lets do some living after we die

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, well ride them some day

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses, well ride them some day