Thursday, October 9, 2008

El voto, un deber revolucionario

Ah, the joys of participating in a revolution!
Today I ran into two pretty Sunbama gals, to whom I addressed as Sunshine -pun intended.
They were holding the customary Sunbama clipboards and Sunbama pens, asking for people to sign in support for Obama. I signed as Agustin Marquetti, the famous Cuban baseball player.

I asked them what happened if people signed twice, or three times, or ten times. They didn't know, and I frankly think that the idea had never crossed their minds before. But of course, if that idea crossed my mind, is because the idea lives freshly in the mind of the revolutionary operatives of the Sunbama Leader.

I also asked them about absentee voting and early voting. They didn't know much of absentee voting, but they told me that probably it's directed to those elderly citizens who will be out of their place of residence in the cold days of November, I told them that I had heard the story of a New Jersey guy that discover that a guy posing as a Republican party representative was actually a Democratic Party operative and they giggled. They told me that everything is valid, and I said, yes, in love and war every strategy is valid... but in the elections? Then we go onto the early voting thing.

They told me that early voting is being organized by Sunbama operatives at concerts, colleges, and "certain" neighborhoods (one of them made the "quotation marks" gestures while telling me. I said that it was "interesting, what kind of neighborhood do you mean?" she said, "you know, rough neighborhoods", and I said, "oh, like where I live.... downtown!". "No -she said- I mean real ghettos, war zones". Oh well, these people consider black neighborhoods ghettos and war zones.... That's sweet. Now I am sure that the Sunbama and his lovely wife are in total disconnection with the very same voters they hope to attract.

Needless to say, that they are preying onto impressionable young people to get them to vote for the Sunbama in campuses and colleges, and confusing the elderly with their "tactics". I am really curious to see what happens in "rough neighborhoods, real ghettos, and war zones".

I was just late for my meeting, so I got a phone number from them to talk to some guy and volunteer for them in a "rough neighborhood". Let's see what they tell me, and I will be happy to report from "the war zone".